As its primary support of the war effort in World War II, Morehead State hosted the training of more than 4,400 sailors as shipboard electricians between June 1942 and July 1944. The U. S. Navy Training School (Electrical) had 600 trainees at a time. Coming directly from basic training, the ““Bluejackets”” lived in Thompson and Mays Halls during their four month tours. The sailors went from MSU to wartime duty stations aboard U. S. warships, many never to return. Thanks to the leadership and patriotism of President William H. Vaughan and Dean Warren C. Lappin, the Navy’’s presence helped MSU survive the strains of wartime rationing and low enrollments.
Navy Seamen arrive at Morehead Train Station in 1943.
|Program for Christmas Day, December 25, 1943 for the Naval Training School||
Troops on parade on the college football field.
Return to Home Page