Martha Ann Stewart and Marion Stamper
By James A. Stamper
Marion Stamper, born 1856, in Wise County, Virginia, died May 24,1953 in Knott County, Kentucky, was the son of Joseph and Malinda (Phipps) Stamper. He married Martha Ann Stewart who was born on August 16, 1864, in Perry County, Kentucky, a daughter of Jasper Byrd and Nancy (Mullins) Stewart. Martha Ann died in August of 1929 in Knott County, Kentucky. Martha Ann was only fourteen years old when she married Marion in January of 1878. Martha Ann had little time for education because she was already a wife and mother when she was in her mid-teens. In later years after she had stopped having children, she went to a "Moonlight School" and learned to read. Martha Ann and Marion had thirteen children as follows:
1. 1. John C. Stamper was born in November of 1878. He married Adeline Engle.
2. Nancy Jane Stamper was born in 1880. He married (1) John Casbolt-Terry (2)_______Davis.
3. Robert "Robin" Stamper was born in 1881 and died in 1970. He never married.
4. Arminta Stamper was born in June of 1883 and died (date unknown) in Bell County, Kentucky. She married Will Roberts.
5. Jasper Byrd Stamper was born in 1885 and died in 1948. He married Sylvania Engle.
6. Willie Stamper was born in 1887 and died in 1913 of typhoid. He married Tottie Baker
7. Sally Stamper was born in 1889 and died in 1948. She married Jack Conley.
8. David J. Stamper, born in 1891, in died 1969. He married (1) Rena Allen (2) Mattie Slone.
9. Hiram Stamper was born in 1893 and died in 1992. He married Martha Kelly. (Hiram Stamper along with his son Arthur 'Art' Stamper achieved distinction as a performer of traditional mountain fiddle music.)
10. Daniel Harrison Stamper was born in 1894 and died in 1966. He married Exie Mullins.
11. James Carmon Stamper was born in 1896 and died in 1984. He married Ruthena Richie.
12. Charles Stamper was born in 1899 and died in 1983. He married Beatrice Smith.
13. Richmond D. Stamper was born in 1901 and died in 1954 in an auto accident. He married Cassie Combs. (These are my parents)
Marion and Martha Ann and several of their children and grandchildren are buried in the Stewart-Stamper Cemetery on Route 80 just east of Hindman in Knott County, Kentucky, at the mouth of Stamper Branch, and close to the old Stewart home place. Since most of the 13 offspring of Marion and Martha Ann had quite large families themselves, they contributed significantly to the number of descendants of Alexander Stewart.
The Family of Martha Ann Stewart and Marion Stamper
Photograph from the early 1940's
|First row, left to
right: Marion Stamper, John C. Stamper, Nancy Jane Stamper Davis, Robert
"Robin" Stamper, Minta Stamper Roberts, Jasper Byrd Stamper. Back
row, left to right: Richmond D. Stamper, Charles Stamper, James Carmon Stamper,
Daniel Harrison Stamper, Hiram Stamper, David J. Stamper, Sally Stamper
An interesting side note here is that Martha Ann Stewart's half-sister Elizabeth Thacker-Stewart married George Stamper, brother of Marion Stamper. Elizabeth was the illegitimate daughter of Jasper Byrd Stewart and Vicy Thacker. Here is a brief record of their children. George Stamper, born 1853, in Wise County, Virginia, died 1927, in Knott County, Kentucky. He was the son of Joseph and Malinda (Phipps) Stamper. George married Elizabeth "Liz" Thacker, daughter of Jasper Byrd Stewart and Levica "Vicy" Thacker. Their children:
1. Martha Ann
Stamper was born 1883 She married Harlan Gibson.
2. Troy Stamper was born in 1885.
3. Joseph Stamper was born in 1886 and died in 1932.
4. Leonard Stamper was born in 1888.
5. Malena Stamper was born in 1889. She married (1) Green Combs (2) George Combs.
6. Mary "Polly" Stamper was born in 1894. She married Biram Combs.
7. Merida Stamper was born in 1895. She married (1) Cynthia Owens (2) Vada Slone.
8. Minta Stamper was born in 1896. She married Elbert Cox.
Return to Web Page Index