The Earls of Galloway


The Clan Stewart was active in most of Scotland's wars. A great number of the Clansmen were killed at the final Battle of Culloden fighting for Charles Edward Stuart, Bonnie Prince Charlie. The House of Stewart not only provided all of Scotland's monarchs from 1371 to 1603, and of the United Crowns of Scotland and England from 1603 to 1714, but held through time, 13 Dukedoms and 17 Earldoms in Great Britain. Stewarts also provided two British Prime Ministers, and the House of Stewart held Dukedoms in Italy, France and Spain. Although the Royal Stewart tartan is worn by HRH Queen Elizabeth II, the Chief of the Stewarts is Sir Randolph Stewart, 13th Earl of Galloway.


Portrait of John Viscount Garlies, later 7th Earl of Galloway, as Master of Garlies (Anton Raphaël Mengs 1758)


The title Earl of Galloway was created in the Peerage of Scotland in 1623 for Alexander Stewart. The Earl also holds the subsidiary title of Lord Garlies (created 1607) and Baron Stewart of Garlies (1796). The former is in the Peerage of Scotland, and the latter in the Peerage of Great Britain. An "Earl" is a British peer ranking below a Marquess and above a Viscount. There have been thirteen earls:


John Stewart, Seventh Earl of Galloway


Background Information on the Galloways




Alexander Stewart, 1st Earl of Galloway

Peerage: September 19, 1623 E[S] Sir Alexander Stewart (c 1580 -1649)
Created Lord of Garlies on July 19, 1607
and 1st Earl of Galloway on September 19, 1623


Sir Alexander Stewart was a favorite of James VI (James I of England), who knighted him in 1590 at the coronation of his consort, Queen Anne of Denmark. Sir Alexander married (first) Christian Douglas, daughter of Sir William Douglas, and (second) the Lady Elizabeth Douglas, daughter of David, Earl Angus, and widow of John, seventh Lord Maxwell (Earl of Morton). He died on October 9, 1649, leaving five children. Sir Alexander Stewart was elevated to the peerage, July 19, 1607, by the title of Baron of Garlies, and on September 19, 1623, was advanced to the Earl of Galloway.



James Stewart, 2nd Earl of Galloway
Peerage - July 19, 1649, 2nd Earl of Galloway, James Stewart. He died in June of 1671.


The first earl was succeeded by his son, James Stewart, second Earl of Galloway, who, in his father’s lifetime, had been created a Baronet of Nova Scotia. He was a firm adherent of the Stuarts and was fined four hundred pounds by Oliver Cromwell for his attachment to the royal family. He lived to see the Restoration, and came into great favor with King Charles II. In 1642, he married Nicolas Grier, daughter of Sir Robert Grier of Grierson. He was a MP (Member of Parliament) and had two sons and four daughters.



Alexander Stewart, 3rd Earl of Galloway
Peerage - June 1671, 3rd Earl of Galloway, Alexander Stewart. He was born in 1643 and died in September of 1690.


The second earl's oldest son, Alexander Stewart, became the third Earl of Galloway. He married Mary Douglas of Queensbury, daughter of James, 2nd Earl of Queensbury, by whom he had six sons and two daughters.


The third earl's third son, Brigadier-General John Stewart, a Member of Parliament for Wigtownshire in the Parliament of 1707, held Castle Sorbie from 1695 until his death there on April 22, 1748. He was the castle's last resident. He is buried in the Old Kirkyard in Sorbie or Sorby.


Castle Sorbie

Home of brigadier-general John Stewart, son of the third Earl of Galloway

Wigtownshire, about a mile outside the village of Sorbie on the Garlieston Road


A village in the Machars of Dumfries and Galloway, Sorbie lies to the west of Wigtownshire Bay, 5 miles south of Wigtown. It was established as a planned village in the late 18th Century by the 7th Earl of Galloway and was once famous for its manufacture of damask. The mausoleum of the Earls of Galloway (1735) stands in the kirkyard of the old parish church. A mile to the east of the village stand the ruins of the Old Place of Sorbie, a 16th-century tower that was a stronghold of the Hannay family.

The third earl's fourth son, Andrew, died or was killed in the Darien expedition in 1699. For information on the Darien expedition, click here. William and Robert died young, unmarried.




Alexander Stewart, 4th Earl of Galloway
Peerage - September 1690, 4th Earl of Galloway, Alexander Stewart. He was born in 1660 and died in 1694.


The third earl's oldest son, Alexander, became fourth Earl of Galloway, but died without issue.



James Stewart, 5th Earl of Galloway
Peerage - 1694, 5th Earl of Galloway, James Stewart.


The third earl's second son, James, became the fifth Earl of Galloway after the death of his brother Alexander Stewart, the Fourth Earl of Galloway. He was a Privy Councilor (the principal council of the sovereign, composed of the cabinet ministers and other persons chosen by the king or queen) and statesman in the reign of Queen Anne. In 1694, he married Catherine Montgomery, daughter of the 9th Earl of Eglinton. The Stewarts were living in the Scottish lowlands, Garlies, County Wigtownshire. James took oaths and his seat in Parliament May 27, 1695, and was appointed one of the Lords of Police, and he held that office until 1740, at which time he passed the office onto his son. He died on February 16, 1746 in Glasserton, Scotland


Children of James Stewart and Catherine Montgomery:


-- Alexander Stewart
6th Earl of Galloway
-- James Stewart, Lieutenant General, 37th. Regiment, Member of Parliament for the Wigton Burghs.
-- William Stewart (born circa 1706), Cavalry Officer, elected a Member of Parliament in 1741 to

represent Wigton Burghs - the father of Alexander Stewart, 1755-1835?

-- George Stewart , died young
-- Margaret Stewart, first married James Carnegy, 5th Earl of Southesk in 1713 - He was attainted (the blood

of the person attainted is so corrupted as to be rendered no longer inheritable). in 1715 - He died in 1729 -
| Second, she married John Master of Sinclair - He was attainted in 1714 -
-- Euphemia Stewart, wife of Alexander Murray of Broughton
-- Catherine Anne Stewart, died 1755


Our Alexander Stewart's (1755-1835) possible pedigree to the Earls of Galloway.


/James STEWART, Fifth Earl of Galloway, son of Third Earl - born in 1672 and died on February 16, 1745

/William STEWART (third son of the Fifth Earl of Galloway) - born in 1726 died in 1788

Alexander STEWART, son of William, grandson of the Fifth Earl of Galloway, Nephew of Sixth Earl and First Cousin to Seventh Earl)



James Murray of Broughton (1727-1799)

Uncle to the Tory candidate Gordon of Balmaghie, who was contesting the Stewartry of Kirkcudbright (In Scotland, the jurisdiction of a steward; also, the lands under such jurisdiction.) in February of 1795. On April 12, 1752, Lady Catherine Stewart, daughter of the Sixth Earl of Galloway) married James Murray, of Broughton. Murray, who owned the estate of Cally, in Wigtownshire, was Member of Parliament for the county. According to Chambers, Murray had left his wife and cousin, Lady Catherine Stewart, and eloped with Grace Johnston, his niece. Because of his great wealth, he did this with comparative impunity, and did not forfeit his association with his wife's family, one of whose relations he was supporting in the election.

In his Second Heron Election Ballad, Robert Burns wrote:

"An' there'll be Murray commander
An' Gordon the battle to win:
Like brothers, they'll stan' by each other,
Sac knit in alliance and kin:"

Cally House was built by James Murray, the son of Euphemia Stewart (daughter of the Fifth Earl of Galloway) and Alexander Murray. James married Catherine Stewart, the daughter of

the Sixth Earl of Galloway.

Attained Noblemen of Scotland

After each of the attempts by King James Stewart II and his son, Charles, to regain the throne, the English issued warrants (called "writs of attainder") for noblemen who supported such cause.

James Carnegy, the 5th Earl of Southesk, escaped to France, where he died in 1729, but his wife, Lady Margaret, daughter of James Stewart, 5th Earl of Galloway, was supported by the crown. The Earl was attainted for supporting the Jacobite rebellion. This attaint was eventually reversed in 1855 and the title restored to a descendant of one of his third cousins. In 1713, he married Margaret Stewart (a daughter of James Stewart, 5th Earl of Galloway) They had one son, James Carnegie (born around 1714, died January 7, 1722) and a daughter, Clementina Carnegie (bur March 26, 1730). The 5th Earl was forfeited after his support of the house of Stuart in the 1715 Rising. He is commemmorated in the song in "The Piper o' Dundee". The 5th Earl had no surviving issue thus the title passed to a cousin Sir James Carnegie of Pitarro.


From The Roll of Baptisms of Penninghame - "August 20, 1695 James and Kathorin, Earl and Countess of Galloway, had a lawful son baptized by Mr James Stewart, Minister of Mochrum, called Alexander."

"October 1, 1696 James and Kathorin, Earl and Countess of Galloway, had a lawful daughter baptized by Mr. John Wilson, Minister of Sorbie, called Margaret."





Alexander Stewart, 6th Earl of Galloway

Peerage - February 16, 1746, 6th Earl of Galloway, Alexander Stewart Born: circa 1694
Died: September 24, 1773
Married (1) circa 1718 to Lady Anne Keith, daughter of William Keith, 9th Earl Marischal
Died: 1728
Married (2) January 5, 1729 in Edinburgh to Lady Catherine Cochrane, daughter of John Cochrane, 4th
Earl of Dundonald and Lady Anne Murray
Born: 1709
Died: March 15, 1786 in Bath

On August 20, 1695, "James and Kathorin, Earl and Countess of Galloway, had a lawful son baptized by Mr James Stewart, Minister of Mochrum, called Alexander." From The Roll of Baptisms of Penninghame

James Boswell visited Lord Galloway on his Harvest Jaunt in 1762, arriving at Galloway House on September 25. He described the Lord as "a man of great quickness and uncommon spirits for his age. He has seen a great deal and has lived always as a man of pleasure, that is to say, he has followed his own inclinations. Politics is the great study of his life, which have led him to do things not at all right. He is a good father, a good husband, a good master. Had he never engaged in politics he might have passed through life with esteem, without any disagreeable imputation."

He was styled Lord Garlies from birth until in 1746 he became 6th Earl of Galloway on the death of his father. On October 31, 1716, Lord George Murray described him: "Lord Garlies is a mighty pretty gentleman, and entirely loyal", loyal to the Stuarts he meant. "If ever the occasion offers, (he) will venture his life and fortune in his Majesty's service". In 1718 or 1719 he married Lady Anne Keith. When she died in 1728, he married Lady Catherine Cochrane in January 1729 who---like her sisters Anne, Duchess of Hamilton and Susan, Countess of Strathmore---was celebrated for her beauty.


From about 1743 until 1768 he was a Lord of Police; Grand Master of Freemasons, 1757 until 1759; Lieutenant General and President of the Council of the Royal Archers, 1765-1768. Much later in life, Horace Walpole wrote of him as "a man indecently Jacobite"; and in 1761 a Mrs. Delany found him "a thin, dismal looking man". On 24 September 1773, he died at Aix in Provence at aged seventy-nine.


John Stewart, 7th Earl of Galloway (1736-1806)
Peerage - September 24, 1773, 7th Earl of Galloway, John Stewart (March 13, 1736 to November 13, 1806, age 70)
Created Baron Stewart of Garlies on June 6, 1796 by George III
Member of Parliament for Morpeth 1761 and Ludgershall 1768
Knights of the Templar, 1775. Lord Lieutenant (the representative of the Crown in a county)
Wigtownshire 1794-1806

Being the fourth son, he became Lord Garlies only in 1746. When his father died in 1773, he then became 7th Earl of Galloway. From 1761 until 1768, he was Member of Parliament for Morpeth, and from 1768 until 1773 for Ludgershall. He was a Lord of Police, 1768-1782; a Representative Peer for Scotland, 1774-1790; a Lord of the Bedchamber, 1784-1806; and Lord Lieutenant of the county Wigton, 1794-1806. He succeeded to the Earldom in 1773, and from 1774 to 1790 he was a Representative Peer for Scotland in Parliament. He supported Gordon of Balmaghie when he contested the Stewartry of Kirkcudbright in 1795. (In Scotland, stewartry refers to the jurisdiction of a steward; also, the lands under such jurisdiction.)

He was a Tory and Robert Burns disliked both him and his politics. The Earl is rigorously satirized in Burns's Third Election Ballad, 'John Bushby's Lamentation.' The poet also wrote some bitter verses 'On the Earl of Galloway':

"What dost thou in that mansion fair?
Flit, Galloway, and find
Some narrow, dirty, dungeon cave,
The picture of thy mind !"

When he heard, erroneously or otherwise, that the Earl resented this, Burns retorted with:

"Spare me thy vengeance, Galloway I
In quiet let me live:
I ask no kindness at thy hand,
For thou hast none to give.

"Another view is presented in a newspaper obituary notice on the Earl's death: "His loss will be extensively and deeply felt; his numerous friends and connections profited by his advice and assistance; his active frame and mind he never spared; he did nothing by halves. As a husband and father he was exemplary; as a friend, indefatigable; he adored the Supreme Being; he loved his king; his affairs prospered. He was admired for his taste in music; and had great skill in agricultural pursuits."

He married, first the Lady Charlotte Mary Greville, a daughter of the first Earl Brooke and Earl of Warwick and Hon. Elizabeth Hamilton. She was born on July 6, 1745 and died on May 31, 1763 in Edinburgh. Two sons died in infancy.

Thereafter, the 7th earl married, on June 13, 1764, in London Anne Dashwood, daughter of Sir James Dashwood, 2nd Baronet of Kirlington and Elizabeth Spencer. She was born in 1743 and died on January 8, 1830 in London . By her he had sixteen children.

Galloway House was built in 1740 by Lord Garlies (later the 8th Earl of Galloway), the eldest son of the 7th Earl of Galloway and later enlarged by Burn and then all decorated by Lorimer. The current grounds cover some 30 acres and go down to the sea and sandy beach. The house was built for £2,000 and he planted 200,000 trees per annum on the estate. As a noted agricultural improver, he opted for larger farms,which he often took over at the end of a lease and re-let them at a much higher rent. When he bought Baldoon, an estate of 28 farms, from the Earl of Selkirk on terms that proved crippling, he owned half of Wigtownshire.


Galloway House


According to the Gentlemen's Magazine, "He was much devoted to agricultural pursuits, and was long remarkable for his attendance at the opera". He died of gout in the stomach, at Galloway House, county Wigton, in his 70th year.

Anne Dashwood (1743–1830), later Countess of Galloway, 1764, by
Sir Joshua Reynolds (British, 1723–1792)


Anne Dashwood was the daughter of Sir James Dashwood, member of Parliament for Oxford (whose portrait by Seeman is in the Aitken Galleries). She sat for Reynolds three times in the month preceding her marriage on June 13, 1764, to John Stewart, Lord Garlies, later seventh Earl of Galloway. The artist presents her in the traditional guise of a shepherdess, but wearing rubies, pearls, and a gauze scarf, and with her hair dressed stylishly.


Charles James Stewart, a Canadian Anglican bishop, born at Galloway House, Wigtownshire, Scotland, on April 13, 1775; died in London, England, on July 13, 1837. He was the fifth son of John, seventh Earl of Galloway. He was educated at home and at Oxford, where he was graduated in 1799, and the same year was ordained in the Church of England. He was first settled as a pastor at Orton Longueville and Botolph Bridge, near Peterborough, in 1799, where he remained eight years, and soon afterward, having offered himself to the Society for the propagation of the gospel, he was appointed to the mission of St. Armand, Eastern townships, Lower Canada. There was no church in his mission, but he erected one at his own expense. In 1819, he was appointed a visiting missionary in the diocese of Quebec, which then included the whole of Canada, and suffered much hardship in traveling over a vast extent of sparsely settled country, without roads or adequate means of conveyance. On the death of Bishop Mountain in 1825, Dr. Stewart was nominated to the see of Quebec as his successor, and he was consecrated on 1 January, 1826, by Archbishop Sutton, at Lambeth palace. In May of 1827, Bishop Stewart returned to Quebec and was installed in the cathedral of that city. While he was in Canada he spent the whole of his private fortune in the service of the church and in charity, and promoted the erection of many churches in various parts of the country. In 1817 Oxford gave him the degree of D.D. He published " Short View of the Eastern Townships in Lower Canada" (London, 1817). See "The Stewart Missions, a Series of Letters and Journals, with a Brief Memoir of Bishop Stewart," edited by Reverend W. J. D. Waddilove, A. M. (London, 1838), and "Life of Bishop Stewart." by the Rev. John N. Norton (1859).





George Stewart, 8th Earl of Galloway
Peerage - November 13, 1806, 8th Earl of Galloway, George Stewart (March 24, 1768 to March 27, 1834, age 66)
Member of Parliament for Saltash 1790-1795, Cockermouth
1805-1806 and Haslemere 1806. Knights of the Templar 1814
Lord Lieutenant (the representative of the Crown in a county)
Kirkcudbright 1794-1807
and 1820-1828, and Wigtownshire 1807-1828


He was born on March 24, 1768 and died on March 27, 1834 in Hampstead. On April 18, 1797 he married in Westminster to Lady Jane Bailey Paget, daughter of Henry Baily Paget, 1st Earl of Uxbridge and Jane Champagne. She was born on September 1, 1774 and died on June 1842 in London.


As his father's heir he was styled Lord Garlies from 1773 until, in 1806, when he became the 8th Earl of Galloway. In 1780, he entered the Navy and, in April 1794, as Captain, distinguished himself by the taking of Guadaloupe. He was wounded in the face and apparently his nose and upper lip were taken away. In 1810, he became Rear Admiral, then Vice Admiral in 1819, Admiral in 1830.


As a Tory he was Member of Parliament for Saltash from 1790 until 1795, for Cockermouth 1805-1806, and Haslemere in 1806. He was as well Lord of the Admiralty 1805-1806, also Lord Lieutenant of county Kirkcudbright 1794-1807 and 1820-1828, and county Wigton 1807-1828. He died aged sixty-six in 1834.


He joined the Royal Navy in 1780 and achieved the rank of Rear Admiral of the Blue in 1810 (After 1653, the navy was divided into three squadrons: the red, the white, and the blue, in order of seniority.), and was for a time Lord of the Admiralty. He commanded the frigate HMS Lively at the Battle of St Vincent in 1797. Later he filled a number of public positions such as Member of Parliament, and later Lord Lieutenant and Sheriff Principal of Wigtownshire. In 1814 he was created a Knight of the Thistle. (The Most Ancient and Most Noble Order of the Thistle is an order of chivalry in the British honors system, associated with contributions to Scotland. It is the highest order in Scotland, and second only to the Order of the Garter in the United Kingdom.) He died in London during 1834.


In the early part of the 19th Century, he purchased Castle Stewart from William Douglas.



Randolph Stewart, 9th Earl of Galloway
Peerage - March 27, 1834, 9th Earl of Galloway, Randolph Stewart (September 1800 to January 2, 1873, age 72)
Member of Parliament for Cockermouth 1826-1831.

Lord Lieutenant (the representative of the Crown in a county)
Kirkcudbright 1828-1845 and
Wigtownshire 1828-1851


He married Harriet Blanche Somerset in London on August 9, 1833. She was the daughter of Sir Henry Charles Somerset, 6th Duke of Beaufort and Charlotte Sophia Leveson-Gower. They had two sons, the 10th and 11th Earls of Galloway,


Monument honoring the Ninth

Earl of Galloway in Newton Stewart, Scotland



Alan Plantagenet Stewart, 10th Earl of Galloway
Peerage - January 2, 1873, 10th Earl of Galloway, Alan Plantagenet Stewart (October 21, 1835 to February 7, 1901, age 65)
Member of Parliament for Wigtownshire 1868-1873. Knights of the Templar 1888


Born: October 21, 1835, London
Died: February 7, 1901, Cumloden House, Newton Stewart, Kirkcudbrightshire, Scotland
Known As: Lord Garlies
Also Known As: succeeded as 10th Earl of Galloway in 1873

Alan Stewart, the tenth Earl of Galloway, was born in 1835, the oldest son of the 9th Earl of Galloway and his wife, Harriet Blanche Somerset. His public offices included being an officer of the Royal Horse Guards Blue, hon. Colonel of the Royal Scots Fusiliers, a Knight of the Thistle, and HM Commissioner to the General Assembly of the Church of Scotland. The tenth Earl died in 1901 and was succeeded by his brother Randolph Henry Stewart.

Cumloden House to the north was built in 1875 for Sir William Stewart and became a summer retreat for the Earls of Galloway and to the east in the grounds of Kirroughtree House Hotel (1719) stand an ice house and an octagonal dovecote. The Wood of Cree Reserve to the east is one of southern Scotland's largest remaining ancient broad-leaved woodlands.

Cumloden House




Randolph Henry Stewart, 11th Earl of Galloway
Peerage - February 7, 1901, 11th Earl of Galloway, Randolph Henry Stewart (October 14, 1836 to February 7, 1920, age 83)


Randolph Henry Stewart was born in 1836 and served in the Black Watch (the Royal Highland Regiment in the British army), the 42nd Royal Highlanders during the Crimea and the Indian Mutiny. The eleventh Earl died in 1920. Both of his sons served in the British Army during World War One. Randolph Algernon Ronald Stewart, Lord Garlies, the elder son, was a Lieutenant in the Scots Guards and was taken prisoner in 1914. He later succeeded as twelfth Earl of Galloway. His brother Keith Anthony Stewart, a Lieutenant of the Black Watch was killed in action in 1915. In 1978 on the death of the twelfth Earl, the Earldom passed to his son Randolph Keith Reginald Stewart. The present owner of the barony is nephew to the present Earl of Galloway.


1 Randolph Algernon Ronald Stewart 12th Earl Of Galloway = Philippa Fendall Wendell

2 Keith Anthony Stewart



Randolph Algernon Ronald Stewart, 12th Earl of Galloway

Peerage - February 7, 1920, 12th Earl of Galloway, Randolph Algernon Ronald Stewart

(November 22, 1892 to June 13, 1978, age 85)
Lord Lieutenant(the representative of the Crown in a county)
Kirkcudbright 1932-1975

Lt.Col the 12th Earl of Galloway - Randolph Algernon Ronald Stewart
Education: Harrow; RMC, Sandhurst.
Gazetted (officially announced a member of) Scots Guards, 1913; served European War, 1914-1915 (prisoner);

Hon. Attaché, HM Legation at Berne, 1918; ADC to Military Governor at Cologne, 1919;

Lt­Col commanding 7th (Galloway) Bn KOSB, 17.6.1939-27.3.1940, now Hon. Col; JP Kirkudbrightshire; Grand Master Mason of Scotland, 1945-1949;

Lord Lieutenant of Kircudbrightshire, 1932-1975


Randolph Algernon Ronald Stewart, Baron Stewart of Garlies, 12th Earl of Galloway, was the elder son of the 11th Earl and succeeded to the title on the death of his father in February 1920. He died in 1979.

The first Earl of Galloway was created in 1623, and from that time onwards successive Earls have played an important part in the naval, military and civil affairs of this country. It is, perhaps, not unworthy of note that Lord Galloway's father served in the Crimean War and in India in 1855-57. Lord Galloway was initiated into Lodge St Ninian, No.499, and became Right Worshipful Master in 1934, when he also took office in Grand Lodge for the first time as Junior Grand Deacon. He was appointed Depute Provincial Grand Master of Galloway in 1936.

With the restrictive years of war receding, Lord Galloway was elected as Grand Master Mason in 1945, and held office until 1949. During this period the search for a new Grand Secretary was begun, and it fell to Lord Galloway to institute a committee to recommend the selection. In 1948 Brother Dr Buchan was appointed. My earliest masonic recollection of both these men, who were to become such delightful friends, was at Limekilns when I was raised to the Third Degree in my Mother Lodge (Elgin and Bruce) in 1948.

Lord Galloway applied a twinkling severity to his Freemasonry. His perfect knowledge of ritual and his natural kindliness of nature married well, and as a former officer in the Scots Guards things had to be right.

His Freemasomy was not confined to the Craft. Perhaps his most invaluable able service was given to the Royal Arch between 1953-70 when, as First Grand Principal, he toured the widely separated Chapters at home and abroad. Usually accompanied by his wife, Lady Galloway, whose lovely charm added an extra brilliance to the overseas tours, her sudden death in 1974 was a grievous blow to him, as he was already in failing health. At the time of his death he was Sovereign Grand Commander of the Supreme Council for Scotland.

Among many attributes, which endeared him in Masonic company, was his amazing ability to recall the names of brethren whom he had met during his extensive travels. He seemed to revel in the hard work of these tours, and hardly flagged when he returned home. I remember his speech at the Festival of St Andrew, after one such tour to South Africa on Royal Arch business, when his words were a most perfect model - full of compassion, good humor and authority.

From 1934 he was Lord Lieutenant of the Stewartry, and he retained an active interest in the Territorial Army. He loved his home at Cumloden, and its forests and garden were his special care. Very much a Stewart by birth and service, it was an increasing sadness to him in later life that infirmity made attendance at Masonic meetings impossible. Those of us who served him give thanks for an example of constancy and courteous perfection.


Randolph Keith Reginald Stewart, 13th Earl of Galloway (b. 1928)
Peerage - June 13, 1978, 13th Earl of Galloway, Randolph Keith Reginald Stewart (October 14, 1928)

Baronet of Scotland, 12th of Corsewall, and 10th of Burray; education at Harrow; married October 17, 1975 •Mrs Lily May Budge, youngest daughter of Andrew Miller, of Duns, Berwicks.




The Stewarts and the Spencer Churchills


Blenheim Palace



George, 5th Duke of Marlborough (pronounced "Maulbruh"), took the additional name of Churchill by royal license in 1817. Burke’s Peerage gives the family origin as coming from Gitto de Leon whose son was Wandril de Leon, Lord of Courcil. The name then changed from "de Courcil" to "de Chirchil" and ultimately "Churchill".


George Spencer Churchill , Fifth Duke, married Susan Stewart, daughter of the Seventh Earl of Galloway


George was born on March 6, 1766 and died at Blenheim Palace on March 5, 1840, having married in 1791 Lady Susan Stewart (1767-1841), second daughter of John Stewart, 7th Earl of Galloway. Lady Soames has written an excellent biography, The Profligate Duke (London: Collins 1987). The 5th Duke, formerly the Marquis of Blandford, lived an extravagant life as the duke, dissolute yet brilliant and eccentric, qualities that seem to run in the family. He revised Capability Brown's landscape around Blenheim Palace and sold off non-entailed treasures to finance his high living, even charging visitors by the hour to shoot and fish on the property. The fifth duchess, Susan Stewart, like her predecessors, sank into the same enslavement to the Blenheim Palace. After years of near-bankruptcy, the fifth duke died in 1840, his duchess the next year. For more information, click here.


George Spencer Churchill, the Sixth Duke of Marlborough, married his two first cousins, Lady Jane Stewart and Lady Jane Francis Clinton Stewart, his mother's nieces, and the granddaughters of the Seventh Earl of Galloway


The 6th Duke of Marlborough became the title of their son, George Spencer Churchill. He was born in 1793 and died in 1857. He too married three times. His first wife, Lady Jane Stewart (1798-1844), a daughter of the 8th Earl of Galloway, was mother to his son, John Winston Spencer Churchill, 7th Duke (1822-1883); but he later married Charlotte Flower, daughter of Viscount Ashbrook; and then Jane Francis Clinton Stewart (1817-1897), a daughter of the Hon. Edward Stewart (and a son of the 7th Earl of Galloway).


John Winston Spencer Churchill, the son of the Sixth Duke of Marlborough and Lady Jane Stewart, his first wife


His first wife, Lady Jane Stewart (the mother of the 7th Duke) was the granddaughter of the 7th Earl of Galloway and the niece of Susan Stewart, his mother, the Fifth Duchess of Marlborough. Thus, the 6th Duke married his first cousin. Confused? Consider, the 6th Duke's third wife, Jane Francis Clinton Stewart (1817-1897), who was the daughter of Edward Stewart (a son of the 7th Earl of Galloway). Thus, the 6th Duke's first and third wives, both Jane Stewart(s), were first cousins and were both his first cousins. He married Jane Francis Clinton Stewart on October 10, 1851. Conversely, the 7th Earl of Galloway had one daughter and two granddaughters who were all Duchesses of Marlborough!





George Spencer Churchill, 5th Duke of Marlborough (1793-1857), married Susan Stewart, a daughter

of John STEWART, 7th Earl of Galloway (1766-1840)


Their son was George Spencer Churchill, the 6th Duke of Marlborough (1793-1857)

Lady Jane STEWART, a daughter of the Eighth Earl of Galloway, and niece of the Fifth Duchess of Marlborough, Susan Stewart.


Their son, John Winston Spencer Churchill, the 7th Duke of Marlborough (1822-1883),

married Lady Frances Anne Emily Vane (1822-1899)

Their son was Rt. Hon. Randolph Henry Spencer-Churchill (1849-1895)


He was Winston Churchill's father.


John Winston Spencer-Churchill, 1822-1883, the 7th Duke of Marlborough, married Lady Frances Anne Emily Vane, daughter of Charles 3rd Marquess of Londonderry. They were the parents of the 8th Duke. From 1876-1880 the Duke was the Lord Lieutenant of Ireland. The third son was Lord Randolph Spencer Churchill 1849-1895, a major Victorian Tory Politician. He married the American heiress Jennie Jerome and had an eldest son Winston, known to history as Sir Winston Churchill 1874-1965, probably the most famous British Statesmen in history and leader of the government during the Second World War. Descendants of his have also gone into politics. Clementine Ogilvy Hozier Spencer-Churchill 1885-1977 as widow of Sir Winston Churchill was created Baroness Spencer-Churchill (her husband refused a Peerage).






Castle Stewart



GLASSERTON wig Glasserton House
Owned by Stair Hathorn Stewart
SORBIE wig Galloway House
Stewart med
Home of the Earls of Galloway since 1607.


Galloway House



Creebridge House Hotel
Minnigaff, Newton Stewart, DG8 6NP, Scotland

Formerly the home to the Earls of Galloway, this 18th-century, stone-built hotel is set in three acres of pretty gardens.



Garlies Castle - The Earl of Galloway's former seat


Newton-Stewart, Kirkcudbrightshire was the Earl of Galloway's former seat and stronghold. Newton-Stewart, a town in Penninghame parish, East Wigtownshire, on the right bank of the river Cree, which here is spanned by a five-arch granite bridge, erected in 1813, at a cost of £6000, in place of an earlier bridge of 1745, and leading to the suburb of Creebridge in Minnigaff parish, Kirkcudbrightshire.

Owing its origin to a ford across the river, Newton-Stewart derives its name from William Stewart, the second Earl of Galloway's third son, who here built several houses, and in 1677 obtained a charter from Charles II, erecting it into a burgh of barony; but the earliest feudal contract is dated 1701. The idle - those who hung loose upon society - were the first to flock to the incipient town. The advantages of the feus invited to it peasants who had accumulated a few pounds.

Smuggling did something to promote its advancement. A decent inn or two, a few shops, and some workrooms for ordinary artisans, were soon called for by its being a convenient stage between Creetown and Glenluce, and a suitable depot and resort for an extensive tract of adjacent country, so that by 1792 the population had risen to 900. About 1778 Sir William Douglas, the founder of Castle-Douglas, purchased the estate of Castle-Stewart, and, changing the name of the village to Newton-Douglas, obtained for it under this name a second charter, erecting it into a burgh of barony, and commenced vigorous efforts to make it a seat of important manufacture. A company, with him at its head, erected, at an expense of upwards of £20,000, a large factory for spinning cotton, and connected it with the introduction and support of cotton-weaving. A Mr Tannahill, under Sir William Douglas's patronage, commenced a small manufacture of coarse carpets; and a tannery of long standing received now stimulating encouragement, and was managed with judgment and success. These and other circumstances concurred to promise that the village would, under its new lord, rapidly rise to be a place of no small consequence; but they promised incomparably more than they performed.

The new name of Newton-Douglas soon fell into disuse, and gave place to the former name of Newton-Stewart. The carpet factory proved an utter failure. The cotton-factory worked well for a few years, declined, was abandoned, stood for years unoccupied, and, in 1826, was purchased by Lord Garlies for a twentieth part of the original cost, and converted into a quarry for the building of cottages and farmhouses. Even the weaving of cotton for the manufacturers of Glasgow, though it had formed a ready resource for the town's weavers, went rapidly into decline, insomuch that the number of hand-looms, during the ten years following 1828, decreased from 311 to 100. Of former industries, tanning and currying alone continues to prosper; and the purchase of wool for the Lancashire markets, partly on commission and partly on personal risk, is at present the staple trade; whilst Erskine's patent cartridge-loaders have more than a local repute. Some commerce is carried on through the small harbor of Carty (a creek of Wigtownshire), a little below the town, principally in the exportation of rural produce, and in the importation of lime, sandstone, coals, and general merchandise. A weekly market is held on Friday, a cattle market on the second Friday of every month, and a lamb fair on the Wednesday in August before Moniaive.

Newton-Stewart, unlike most other modern towns, was not founded on any regular plan; and, in consequence, long bore the appearance of a straggling village - builders raising their houses high or low, small or great, on a line with others or in recesses or projections, as caprice, accident, or convenience suggested. Irregularity has been so far corrected that the place now consists chiefly of a long principal street, with the townhouse in the center. At the close of last century all the houses were thatched, and most of them had only one story; but now more than half of them are slated and two-storied. Of late years, too, a number of fine villas have been built above the town, many respectable families having been attracted to the place by its excellent schools. The general building material is trap throughout the body of the walls, and either granite or sandstone in the lintels and other conspicuous parts. The town-hall is a plain oblong building, with a cupola roofed clock-tower. Penninghame parish church, a handsome Gothic edifice of 1840, with- a graceful spire, was built from designs by William Burn at a cost of £5000, and contains 1200 sittings; in 1881 a mission hall was added behind it at a cost of £500. Princes Street Free church till 1 876 was Reformed Presbyterian; that of Creebridge dates from Disruption times. In 1878 was built a fine new U.P. church, in 1876 the new Roman Catholic church of Our Lady and St Ninian; and at Challoch, 2 miles NW of the town, is All Saints' Episcopal church (1872), a beautiful specimen of Early English, with organ, stained glass, three bells, etc. The Ewart Institute, erected in 1864 at a cost of £5000 from funds bequeathed by James and John Ewart, merchants, is a handsome edifice, with a schoolroom at either end, and the principal's house and boarding-school in the middle. Containing five class-rooms, with accommodation for 310 scholars, and rooms and dormitories for 20 boarders it is divided into a middle-class or high school, con' ducted by a principal, two masters, a lady superintendent, and assistants; and a free school, conducted by a master and a mistress. With a recent bequest of £10,000, a new town-hall was commenced in 1884. It is to be called the M`Millan Hall, after the testator, and will, when completed, prove a great convenience and ornament to Newton-Stewart. Other institutions are the Douglas Academy, the Galloway Girls' Industrial Home, a mechanics' institute, etc. In 1875 a monument, 57 feet high, was erected at a cost of £1000 to Randolph, ninth Earl of Galloway (1800-73).