Answer: William Salem Stewart (1932-1985) son of Donald Deronda Stewart (1897-1979), grandson of William Salem Stewart, Jr., great grandson of William Salem Stewart, Sr., great great grandson of Isaac Stewart, great great, great grandson of Alexander Stewart

The following article was reported by the Associated Press:

London, England (A.P.) - August 1987 - William Salem Stewart, a cousin of State Treasurer Frances Mills Jones has been the object of a continuing investigation by Scotland Yard since his apparent suicide in Switzerland more than two years ago.

Scotland Yard became interested in the case after Carole Gadow, 45, of London, England said Stewart planned to marry her after his divorce. She told investigators that more than $1.6 million in cash, securities and jewels were missing from the rental car Stewart was driving when he apparently drowned.

Questions involve whether the body o fa man pulled from Alpnachsee Lake in Switzerland on July 16, 1985 was really that of Stewart, whether he committed suicide and if he may have stocked secret Swiss bank accounts with Millions in mysteriously missing assets and is enjoying a new life somewhere under an assumed name.

The body identified as that of the 53-year-old Lexington businessman was pulled from the car that was found upside down in 65 feet of icy water on the bottom of the mountain lake.

Swiss police treated the death as a routine traffic accident and sent the body back to London, England for burial.

“It’s a very complicated case,” said Scotland Yard’s detective Chief Inspector Drummon Marvin.

Stewart the son a coal company manager [Daniel Deronda Stewart], was born in Barbourville on July 10, 1932. He graduated from the Kentucky Military Institute in Lyndon and received a bachelor’s degree from Davidson College in North Carolina.

Stewart’s sister, Mary Rieke of Paducah, said her brother worked in the family coal business for several years, then moved to Cynthiana where he owned a hardware and farm supply store and a furniture store. He became president of the Farmers National Bank in the 1960's and was a part owner of a men’s clothing store.

Later, Stewart acquired an interest in three Kentucky Banks and two Burger Queen Restaurants (now Druthers). He also invested in real estate and opened an antique’s shop in Lexington, Stewart was married twice. His first marriage, to Jean Ann Patterson, produced a daughter, Mary. He and his second wife, Valerie, were separated.

In the mid-1970's, Stewart began making regular trips to Britain in search of antiques.

“He was doing a lot of antique business,” said James Rieke, Stewart’s brother-in-law. “He was doing a lot of buying over there and selling in his shop in Lexington.”

Stewart moved to Britain for good on February 2, 1985, apparently feeling pressure from creditors in the United States.

“He spent a lot of time previously in Britain,” Marvin, of Scotland Yard, said. “He brought his second wife, Valerie, the one he had left, to London before they were married.”

Chester Care, the Lexington Attorney appointed by Fayette County Courts to unravel Stewart’s affairs said Stewart had a 1983 financial statement in Kentucky that showed more than $10 million in assets, mostly stock in banks and mineral rights in land in Kentucky and West Virginia.

When Stewart died, all his previously visible assets disappeared. He owed between $750,00 and $1 million in Kentucky and had more debts in Britain.

Care and Scotland Yard agreed that Stewart went to Britain trying to escape his debts in Kentucky. They believe he was broke and trying to start over, or he had liquidated his assets and was trying to hide them from creditors.

Marvin said at least part of the reason Stewart had moved to London was to leave his second wife and move in with Ms. Gadow, a blond divorcee who had met Stewart and become his lover during his previous trips to London.

Stewart made several trips to Switzerland during the first half of 1985, telling Ms. Gadow he was stashing money and securities in numbered bank accounts and diamonds in safe-deposit boxes.

Stewart put $7,000 down and moved with Ms. Gadow into a new house then worth $500,000 in the suburb of Dulwich.

Through Ms. Gadow, Stewart became friendly with John Keogh, 42, a Briton who gave the impression of being a wealthy and well-connected entrepreneur.

“But Keogh was a frauds man,” said Inspector Martin Challis, another Scotland Yard investigator on the case. “He traveled all over the world and did things you and I could only dream of, but never with his own money. He had the gift of blarney, and people fell for his schemes.”

In June 1985, Keogh formed an illegal property business and made Stewart chairman of the board. The company was named Oakbriton and it never made any property deals, according to authorities.

By June of 1985, Marvin said, all the money Stewart had brought with him to Britain was gone, and he was living on credit cards and borrowed money.

On July 11, after Stewart’s checks for a second payment on the new house bounced, the builders went to court to evict him. When he left for Switzerland for the fine time three days later, some decision apparently had been made, police said.

Marvin said he had no doubt that Stewart intentionally drove into the Alpnachsee just outside Kerns, a picturesque mountain village of 3,800. The road at that point was straight and dry, visibility was good, there was no other traffic, and there were no skid marks.

But if Stewart had intended to climb out of the car and swim to shore and a new life, he made a tragic mistake in not checking the windows first, Marvin said. The body was found with the head at a window, as if the driver were attempting to escape. Childproof locks, however, prevented the glass from being rolled down far enough for a person to slip through.

Scotland Yard became involved after Ms. Gadow, who said she and Stewart planned to marry after his divorce, claimed that more than 1.6 million in cash, securities and jewels were missing from the rental car. She suggested Stewart might have been murdered.

In June, nearly two years after the death, Keogh was charged with three counts of attempted criminal deception. Marvin said the charges were based on evidence that the three insurance applications had been fraudulently completed.